Monday 23 January 2012

Greenstead Green, Essex

The following week, on a bitterly cold but bright day, I set off on another north of Colchester voyage taking in Greenstead Green, Fordham, Eight Ash Green, Great and Little Tey.

St James the Great is a Victorian built church with an plethora of external corbels - I really shouldn't like this but I do. It's well designed, beautifully executed and, to my mind, should be commended as a C19th mimic. Unlike at Holy Trinity in Halstead Gilbert Scott really hit the nail on the head here.

ST JAMES, Greenstead Green. 1845 by George Gilbert Scott. The upper stage of the W tower is octagonal and accompanied by four pinnacles. Spire on top. The church is in the Dec style.

St James the Great (3)

Corbel (37)

East window

Mee missed this church in my edition.

Flickr.

No comments:

Post a Comment