Sunday 22 February 2015

Thomas Wallis 1822

This is the last will and testament of me Thomas Wallis of Shepreth in the county of Cambridge, miller.

Whereas I gave unto my son, George Starkins Wallis, when we became co-partners in business a moiety of my stock in trade and whereas I also gave unto my two daughters, Ann Inkersole and Sarah Wedd, a fortune on their marriage now I do hereby give unto each of them my said daughters, Ann Inkersole and Sarah Wedd, a further sum of eight hundred pounds apiece to be paid to them by annual instalments of one hundred pounds a year each commencing from my decease until the whole be paid but without interest in the meantime.

Also I give to my brother Richard Wallis and his wife for their lives and the life of the survivor ten shillings a week.

Also I give unto my granddaughter, Sarah Wallis, daughter of my son, George Starkins Wallis, one thousand pounds to be paid her on her attaining her age of twenty one years or day of marriage which first happens with interest thereon in the meantime and which interest I direct to be applied as it becomes due for the purpose her education and subject and chargeable with the payment of my just debts and funeral and testamentary expenses.

I give and devise all my freehold and copyhold messuages, lands, tenements and heredits whatsoever unto my son, George Starkins Wallis, his heirs and assigns.

Also I give and bequeath unto the said George Starkins Wallis, his executors and admins, all the rest and residue of my stock in trade, crop and crops, book debts, securities, money, household furniture and all other my real and personal estate and effects whatsoever and wheresoever to and for his and their own present use and benefit subject to the payment of the said debts and expenses and of the aforesaid legacies.

And lastly I appoint my said son, George Starkins Wallis, sole executor of this my last will and testament hereby revoking etc...this second day of February in the year of our Lord 1822 etc...

This is a codicil to the above written last will and testament of me the above named Thomas Wallis.

First I revoke the legacies of eight hundred pounds each by my said will given to my two daughters, Ann Inkersole and Sarah Wedd, and interest thereof I give and bequeath to each of them, the said Ann Inkersole and Sarah Wedd, the legacy or sum of five hundred pounds apiece which two legacies of five hundred pounds each shall be payable by instalments of one pounds each; the first instalments to be paid out the end of one month after my decease, the next at the end of one year after my decease and the remaining instalments by yearly payments on the anniversary of my decease so as to discharge the whole of the said two legacies by the end of four years after my decease but without any interest in the meantime and I charge the said substituted legacies on my freehold and copyhold heredits.

And I revoke the annuity of ten shillings a week by my said will given to my brother, Richard Wallis, and his wife and in lieu thereof I give to my brother, Richard Wallis, an annuity of six shillings a week during his life commencing from my decease.

And I direct that in case my granddaughter, Sarah Wallis, should marry under the age of twenty one years without the consent of her father or his executors then her legacy of one thousand pounds given by my said will shall not be payable until she shall attain her age of twenty one years.

And in all other respects I ratify, confirm and establish my said will in witness whereof etc...on this eighth day of March in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and twenty two.

Proved at London with a codicil 17 May 1822.

No comments:

Post a Comment