Wednesday 2 November 2016

Semer, Suffolk

On my way home I saw a signpost for Semer church so stopped for the last visit of the day. I drove past All Saints at least four times before I spotted it at the bottom of a field, well hidden by its surrounding trees. After finding Ringshall open I rather hoped All Saints would be too but, sadly, I found it locked, keyholders were listed but it was late in the day, starting to rain and the light was going so, since it didn't look likely to be that interesting, I took exteriors and headed home. It is a pretty spot though.

ALL SAINTS. In the meadow by the stream amid old trees. Much renewed. Chancel 1873, timber S porch 1899. - FONT. Square, plain, C14. - PAINTINGS. Moses and Aaron, C18. - PLATE. Elizabethan Cup and Cover.

All Saints (1)

Astonishingly [and I am genuinely astonished as I thought that even if Mee always found something positive, however awful a place may be, he was a meticulous recorder] Semer is the third church/village that he missed in my edition. I don't know if this rectified in later editions or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment